I have a similar philosophy for this game with weapons in that each weapon class needs to have a unique purpose. Although unlike monsters, I'm very willing to allow weapons to be incremental upgrades of other weapons.
The Weapon Classes will play differently, very inspired by Brogue. We have:
- Daggers - You get a free counterattack when you are attacked and hit.
- Swords - Blocking a hit with a sword allows you to parry, effectively attacking the monster.
- Polearms - Polearms can attack two monsters in a row. At the moment, this only works when one monster is adjacent to you. I'm considering whether or not this should chance.
- Axes - Axes are slow, but attack in a 90 degree arc.
- Blunt - Blunt weapons will stun any monster for one turn, if they hit.
This will hopefully provide some interesting gameplay opportunities.